What the initiative will do:
- Create a commission similar to the Alcohol Beverage Control Commission (ABCC) to oversee a tightly controlled system of licensed retail stores, cultivation facilities, manufacturing facilities and testing facilities.
- Require businesses to test marijuana products and adhere to strict packaging and labeling guidelines.
- Give cities and towns the right to regulate, limit, or prohibit the operation of marijuana establishments.
- Impose a 3.75% excise tax on marijuana sales on top of the 6.25% MA sales tax, and allow cities and towns to add a local tax up to 2%.
- Allow adults 21 years of age or older to possess and cultivate marijuana in limited amounts.
- It will NOT allow marijuana to be used in public.
- It will remain entirely illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana, and employers will be able to maintain all current employment drug use policies.